The Diaper Bag

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Arkansas is NOT filled with hicks!

Dallas, Elias, and I recently flew up to NW Arkansas to visit some friends. The MAN gave us free tickets to anywhere in the Continental US before Christmas. The problem was, Dallas only has 1 vacation day this year, so it had to be close and over a weekend. It was also Tiny's first flight. He slept the whole way there because Dallas was holding him like he was in his car seat and the airplane was like being in a car times a thousand. Anyway, back to Arkansas. First, we got off of the plane and were hit with cold air. It was crisp and awesome, just like winters should be. I really miss having a "real" winter.

Come to find out, NW Arkansas is the name given to several smaller cities that are close together...Bentonville (yes, Walmart headquarters), Rogers, Fayetteville, and like 2 more. The area was hilly and gorgeous and I wanted to stay outside all day on Saturday because the beautiful blue sky was neverending with hills and trees painted all over it. Interesting tidbit about Bentonville...1,000 people move there every month. So I really had the wrong impression of Arkansas. I guess just like people stereotype South Louisiana. No, we didn't ride to school in a canoe (but I have eaten Nutria rat).

Saturday night we went to Fayetteville's town square which looked like someone hosed about a million Christmas lights all over it. It was really pretty, but I LOVE Christmas time, unlike my Grinchy husband. It was so cold...Dallas had Elias in the Maya Wrap. Elias was bundled up in cords, a sweater, socks and shoes, a big hat, and a blanket. He didn't move the entire time we were outside. A merry time was had by all.

We got back on the plane Sunday night and when we stepped outside in Houston, a wave of humid sticky air hit us. Home sweet home.

5 Comments:

  • At December 9, 2004 at 1:24 PM, Blogger J. said…

    sounds like a good trip!

    are there pictures coming to the flikr?

     
  • At December 9, 2004 at 1:52 PM, Blogger D said…

    When I flew into NW Arkansas a few years ago, I was surprised by how nice the aiport was considering it was in the middle of nowhere.  Tyson's headquarters are out that way as well.  I didn't meet many people, so I can't comment on its hick factor, but it was pretty.  Cold weather sounds nice.

     
  • At December 10, 2004 at 7:54 PM, Blogger Kent said…

    I attest to the nice cold factor up there. My wife and I visited my brother and his family (the friends Carrie and Dallas visited) last February, and we actually had snow. We haven't seen snow in quite some time, so it was refreshing. Yeah, good times.

     
  • At December 11, 2004 at 2:29 PM, Blogger The Adventures of Jump Ahead Jane & Captain Surly said…

    Sounds like a blast - I love cold weather too... more importantly what the heck is "Nutria rat" and why on earth would anyone consume anything with the word rat in the title?!! I'm leary of gummy rats!!!!

     
  • At December 12, 2004 at 10:24 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    It is a really huge rat...the size of a small dog. They live in the water, kind of like a beaver. They were "popular" to eat about 10-15 years ago b/c they started multiplying, so what do cajuns say...let's bbq 'em! My dad and his friend tricked us and said it was beef. Later fessed up and we nearly gagged.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home