The Diaper Bag

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A Cup of Hair

Every morning I pull a hand full of hair (literally) out of my tub drain. One morning I thought, "Oh my gosh! It's a cup of hair!" Disgusting, right? I agree. Let me back up and explain. I have always "lost" a lot of hair. Being that I have pretty thick hair, it falls out quite a bit, always has. It was quite scary one night when I was ten and watching a TV movie with my mom. I watched in horror as the lady was in the shower started pulling out clumps of her hair. She had cancer, but what I failed to hear was her hair was falling out because of chemo, not just because she had cancer. So, for about a week, I thought I had cancer. I finally, tearfully, had the courage to ask my mom about it and was so relieved that I wasn't dying. Another much lighter thing happened when I was in high school. My parents housekeeper would say, "Whoever lives upstairs in the teal bathroom sure looses a lot of hair. She should get that looked at." Well, I did and my hair just grows REALLY fast and I lose a lot in the process. Move up 10 years to this past January.

I was well into my pregnancy...just hit 20 weeks. I started noticing that I wasn't pulling ANY hair out of the tub drain. Weird. I also realized that I didn't have to clean my hairbrush. I researched it and found out that during pregnancy, some women's hormones make it so that your hair is really strong and grows in thick and you might not lose as much. Cool...it was the nicest 6 months of my hair's life. Not only was it thick, shiny, and healthy, but I wasn't shedding like my cat in the middle of summer. I totally enjoyed this luxury....until....

Enter Elias and 2 months after giving birth....hair and lots of it falling off of my head. The first time that I noticed, I looked down at our tub's drain, I actually gasped. A swirl of long brown hair twirled together, looking something like a big brown bug. I realized it was my hair and cleaned it out. I slowly started noticing that my previously clean hair brush was now littered with my post-pregnancy hair. All that lush thick hair was now falling out...not slowly, but really fast. Cups and fistfulls of hair now plague my life. A couple of weeks ago I thought I would try to help the situation by cutting off 3 inches. It didn't really help, now I just find my shorter hair everywhere.

My husband is also annoyed with my sloughing off. I get in the shower after Dallas has taken a bath and it is like Hair Art on the shower wall. He pulls out my long hair from his bath water and sticks them to the wall. Elias has even fallen victim. Dallas pulled a long hair out of our son's mouth one morning last week. I have also found my hair in his crib, on his skin, and in his diaper...YIKES! I have a horrible nightmare of one of my hair's wrapped tightly around his penis. I do have a reason for that...it happened to my nephew with one of my sister-in-law's hair. He was crying hard for no reason until they stripped off his clothes only to find one of her hair's cutting off circulation to his penis!! OH MY GOSH...what a horrible thing! So I frequently check my son's penis to make sure this isn't the cause of his discomfort. (Do I get props for using penis 3 times in a blog?)

I don't see any slowing to this process. Maybe since I didn't have any hair fall out for 6 months, it will take 6 months for it to fall out. I have 4 months to go. My only solutions to this nuisance would be to get pregnant again or shave my head. Not gonna happen...

7 Comments:

  • At September 22, 2004 at 11:57 AM, Blogger Michael & Tammi said…

    "He was crying hard for no reason until they stripped off his clothes only to find one of her hair's cutting off circulation to his penis!!"

    HOLY SHIT!

    i fairly quick-witted and i seriously can't think of anything better to say than that...

    totally unexpected.

    good show.

     
  • At September 22, 2004 at 12:52 PM, Blogger J. said…

    I'm laughing so hard right now... and not because you are losing hair.

    Major kudos for using Penis so much, and in only your second post. There's a lot of promise in ye olde Diaper Bag.

    Side note: - I think Penis is such an important organ, it should be capitalized.

    :)

     
  • At September 23, 2004 at 9:04 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    yeah, i at least wanted to give you a heads up Tammi...didn't think pregnancy could be so exciting, huh?

     
  • At September 23, 2004 at 9:32 AM, Blogger Kent said…

    Craziness, Carrie! but I understand your worriness. My wife shares the same phobias. I'm sure she'd love to tell you all about it!

    Maybe you could clump it together and sell it?

     
  • At September 23, 2004 at 11:32 PM, Blogger D said…

    I have always had the same problem.  I shed like crazy.  Co thinks it's disgusting.  Well, so do I actually.  I also shed eyelashes almost every day--usually into my eye.  I'm amazed I still have hair and eyelashes.  Never thought about hair wrapping around my penis and cutting off the circulation.  Thank you for adding to my nightmares.

     
  • At September 24, 2004 at 8:33 AM, Blogger The Adventures of Jump Ahead Jane & Captain Surly said…

    YIPES...This should go in the "Freak Household Accident Hall of Fame".
    Tif

     
  • At October 1, 2004 at 5:18 PM, Blogger Rococoaster said…

    Geezy Kreezy! That is horrific! Tightly wrapped! Gracious sakes! I may never get that image out of my head! Cripes!
    Dave sheds like mad...and it is long, wavy, and grey. I find them everywhere. Including on my naked body when he is out of town. So weird and gross. This is just one of the reasons that "seperate bathrooms" is written into our marriage contract, the other is my obsession with make up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home