The Diaper Bag

Monday, September 27, 2004

Ants

We have lived in our apartment for the past 6 months and the only insects that I have seen are an occasional silverfish...until last Friday. Callie started meowing the moment I got my sleepy head out of bed. She usually does this if she is out of food or water. I walk over, turn on the closet light, look down and see that she still has food. "Stupid cat", I think as I turn off the light. Wait...what was that I saw...I turn back on the light and see the food she does have brimming with happy little ants. Sh*t! Ants!! I run the crawling bowl to the trash can and dump out the contents and wash out the bowl. I scramble to find ant spray, can't find any and figure 409 will do the trick. I pour a decent amount over the ant-covered food in the garbage and feel a tingle of joy. HAHA you stupid ants!

I pour fresh food into Callie's bowl and set it down on her now clean mat. I get some water to drink, eat breakfast, and hear a baby calling out to be fed. After Elias is down for his morning nap, I make my way to the closet to disrobe to take a shower. I look down at Callie's bowl...double sh*t! The whole bowl is completely covered with ants again. OK, this means war! Only it is Friday and I am trying to get ready to go on a retreat. The ants will have to wait...I clean out the bowl again, more 409 and move Callie's bowls on top of our chest at the end of our bed and finish getting ready.

Monday morning I get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. As I am sitting on the toilet I feel a bite on my foot...HUH?!...I look down to see a couple of ants walking on my feet. A few more are on the mats and a few more are casually parading around on the floor. Great....they migrated to the bathroom. I walked in to the kitchen and see a mass of moving brown specs on the counter...WHAT?!...I turn on the light and yes, the bastards moved to a better feeding ground. I feel rage building inside of me. Why would they all of a sudden decide to invade our home after never gracing us with their presence before? I turn on the water and start drowning them. I feel slightly happy at the little revenge I am getting. I look down on the floor and they are feasting on some granola I had dropped the past Friday morning. AAHHHHHH....I get as many as I can and have my sponge ready as I scan the kitchen. I see another and I actually say out loud, "You can run but you can't hide!"

I call the apartment office. Ah, the one nice luxury of not owning your home, you can call someone to come and fix anything. They tell me they will send an exterminator over on Wednesday. Cool...but its Monday. I pack up Elias and we head to HEB. I buy some ant spray, get home, clean the kitchen so there are no little morsels anywhere, and "go crazy with the cheese wiz". Later, Dallas gets home, we eat dinner and take Elias for a walk. I get back, go into the kitchen to get some water, and guess who is there?? Two little ants licking up some tasty gravy...will it ever end?

6 Comments:

  • At September 28, 2004 at 7:59 AM, Blogger The Adventures of Jump Ahead Jane & Captain Surly said…

    Yikes. We had a similar experience a week or so ago. Tiny little ants were hanging out, having a fiesta in and around Stan's food bowl. Luckily, we have an exterminator on call, and they'll come out and treat for insects at no charge between appointments.

    Before we had them doing our house, I tried this Ant Bait, and it worked like a charm. It takes a few weeks to completely get rid of them, but they'll never come back. I think I might even still have some of the boric acid if you want it.

    The things I know from working on that damn show!

     
  • At September 29, 2004 at 8:23 AM, Blogger J. said…

    Apparrently, I posted my last comment as "pursepocket" when it was really me!

     
  • At September 29, 2004 at 10:11 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    if it worked like a charm, why did they come back? I hate ants...

     
  • At September 29, 2004 at 1:42 PM, Blogger J. said…

    well... err... umm... it did work like a charm.

    The ants we had initially... was when we first moved in the house 3 years ago, and were contained in the bedroom. These are smaller, 3 years later and in the kitchen. The extermination that the apt complex does will probably get rid of them.

    :)

     
  • At September 30, 2004 at 10:29 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Oh, bugs are the worst! I hope you get rid of them soon! We had a horrible problem with flies in our apartment one time. I killed 32 in one day! There were so many, I thought there just HAD to be a decaying body in the walls. Anyway, good luck with the ants. :-)

     
  • At October 1, 2004 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Rococoaster said…

    I have been plagued with ants in this apartment and others. I hate those bastards...tiny and everywhere! That damnable line of them...they just keep coming. You can ask Dave and Kevin, I used to have these ant graveyards. I would kill dozens with windex and leave it up (they would stick to the wall)as a warning to the others (ala Morgan Freeman's body in "Unforgiven"). Dave said my warnings were in vain b/c the ants didn't care. They were impervious to my warnings. I hated them even more. I haven't had any since March, since Kevin cleaned my kitchen. Hmmm that couldn't be a coicidence could it?
    PS love you and your blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home