The Diaper Bag

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Cleaning out the closet

I am the only one who has a closet in their parents' house still filled with crap from growing up? Last week, Elias and I spent the week in Lafayette visiting with my parents while Dallas was in Seattle. I have thought many a trips to Lafayette that I MUST clean out my old closet. This is my old room, this isn't my house anymore, and my mom deserves another spot she can unload all of her crap. But every time I opened that door, I closed it real fast...ugh...the thought of going through endless boxes of junior high/high school memorabilia. I probably had about 20 boxes to go through. So, one day last week, I said "ef it", I'm cleaning it out.

After rummaging through the first box and deciding to keep only a handful of stuff, I quickly went downstairs and got 6 big black trash bags. There is something liberating in throwing lots of stuff away. I have ALWAYS been a pack rat until recently. I think it has to do with being in a really small apartment and having a baby. There are some things worth keeping for memories sake, but for the most part, it is all trash that I would eventually throw away anyway. Although, I am saving really weird random things for Elias. Like his first Mardi Gras beads and the bandaid off his first shot (er...nevermind, I did throw that away), and the cord that fell off his belly button (in a ziploc).

So here are some things that I finally threw away: high school dance corsages, our high schools "Ram Page" monthly newspapers (I looked in every one to see if, per chance, I was in any of them...sad to say, no), endless notes and letters from friends, pieces of flare I pinned on my jean jacket in junior high (Normal with a big X over it, "Girls Rule", a troll pin, and I "heart" NKOTB), spirit ribbons from high school football games, bags from Hard Rock Cafe (nothing in them, just the bags...don't ask me why), letters from an old boyfriend and my best friend from high school, little trinkets I kept from random trips, an inflatable palm tree, and much much more. Some funny things were cassette tapes of: Wayne Watson, Twila Paris, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Salt-n-Pepa, and Amy Grant. I also found my backstage pass from the New Kids on the Block concert...oh yeah girls, I met them! I also found (and kept) a latch-hook of a Christmas tree I made (do ya'll remember those?) and a chia pet.

Anyway, it was really funny going through things that were so important to me at the time. Things that I kept were journals, calendars (in which I wrote detailed descriptions of my days), pictures, my senior jacket, trinkets from when I was a little girl (tea set, old lamp, CARRIE in mirror form), trophies from drama competitions, and wedding stuff (I did, however, finally throw away my bouquet). I felt so good after cleaning it out. I highly encourage you to go through old stuff. I also promised my mom I would take my 4 lonely boxes with us when we finally bought a house.

10 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2005 at 5:09 PM, Blogger D said…

    I was going to ask you what NKOTB stood for, but then, to my great disappointment, it became clear.  I would have taken the Salt-n-Pepa tape, though.

     
  • At February 18, 2005 at 10:00 AM, Blogger The Adventures of Jump Ahead Jane & Captain Surly said…

    For the love of God - please tell me you didn't toss the chia pet???!!!!

    I have always wanted to have a chia pet collection - I just can ever bring my self to get started....

    Who was it??? Was it chia dog, chia Elmer Fudd, chia Bart Simpson....who??

     
  • At February 19, 2005 at 12:17 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Chia cat...man, that would have been perfect...a friend for Stan!! I will check Walgreens...do they still make them?

     
  • At February 19, 2005 at 4:31 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Clean outs are great. I just came across my Christmas outfit from when I was 15. Sorry to say, I kept it. Our new place has an attic though, perfect for stuff I want, but don't want to see. Good job trashing stuff!

     
  • At February 21, 2005 at 10:21 PM, Blogger beth hintze said…

    DO NOT TELL ME you tossed the NKOTB backstage pass! Carrie, come on now?! How could you let something like that go?! And why didn't you invite me to go with you--oh wait, i didn't know you then! Nevermind! Just be glad your parents let you store your stuff there! i've been hauling mine around with me and everytime I move, someone has to make a comment about having to move my couple of boxes entitled "memories"! :)

     
  • At February 24, 2005 at 10:26 AM, Blogger Rococoaster said…

    I'm just glad to know that there are other notorious packrats out there. I think I finally let go of my corsages a few years ago, but I am 32 yrs old! My parents have a barn where there are still quite a few boxes. D and I have moved 6 times since getting married, so some of it has been put there for storage. However, some of it I never retrieved...formal dresses from proms (I could make them into something, right?), I've kept those high school newspapers, and John Glenn's autograph from a 7th grade trip to DC, crafts I made (not latch hook, but even more retro: macrame!!!) It is liberating to be ruthless, but sometimes you have regrets...well, I do anyway.

     
  • At November 23, 2005 at 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked your information in Cleaning out the closet. Too bad it doesn't have more on how to get backstage pass. I was looking for how to get backstage pass in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Carrie.

     
  • At November 23, 2005 at 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked your information in Cleaning out the closet. Too bad it doesn't have more on backstage pass. I was looking for backstage pass in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Carrie.

     
  • At November 29, 2005 at 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked your information in Cleaning out the closet. Too bad it doesn't have more on backstage pass. I was looking for backstage pass in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Carrie.

     
  • At December 11, 2005 at 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked your information in Cleaning out the closet. Too bad it doesn't have more on back stage pass. I was looking for back stage pass in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Carrie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home