The Diaper Bag

Thursday, February 09, 2006

I am a grown-up

I know we aren't officially in our house yet, but I have had to make major decisions the last 3 days. We found out we got the house on Monday afternoon around 1. Our realtor calls me back about 4:00 and tells me to call the general contractor, Dan, and let him know my decision on the cabinets. I only saw the cabinet choices once in passing. I knew I wanted a red brick (color) kitchen, so he suggested painting the cabinets the color of the trim. Sure...sounds good. I later told Dallas who was very unsure that painted cabinets would look good. Here comes the stress. I made the wrong choice...when I had talked to Dan, he was on the other line with the carpenter, who had sanded the cabinets and was waiting on me. The deal was done. We would have to live with painted cabinets. I was still worried and stressed that it wouldn't look good.

Tuesday morning I was to be at Hollier's Flooring to pick out our wood floors. I met with Ann who showed me a couple of planks and I had to decide right then and there what kind of wood would be in my house. Crap. I chose Brazilian Cherry with a second choice, Russet. I later called my brother who said that was the wood that they chose to be in there new house and low and behold, it shows scratches really easy. With a cat, not good.

Wednesday morning, mom and I head over and look at the house around 7:45 a.m. We then meet with Val, Dan's wife, to pick out colors for everything. I find out that the wood I chose might already be on a truck waiting to be brought to the house. We end up picking great colors and it was much easier than I thought. I originally thought I wanted a different color in every room because we have lived in apartments our entire married life and was sick of white walls, but luckily, they talked me out of that. Mom and I finish early enough to go and run by the floor store to make sure the wood is ok. I ended up picking a great color wood, not too light, not too dark. Turns out my brother's Brazilian cherry wood was from a different company.

I also picked out the granite for the kitchen counters. That was pretty easy...I only had 5 choices. I would rather have just a few things to choose from then endless choices...have you walked around Lowe's or Home Depot lately? It is really overwhelming! So, for now I am done making decisions. I think the only thing left is to pick out kitchen hardware, if I want to. We are going to see the house tomorrow and we will post some updated pictures.

The grown-ups close on March 15.

3 Comments:

  • At February 10, 2006 at 9:12 AM, Blogger Kent said…

    Aye, the Ides of March, lassie! Good luck with the house!

     
  • At February 10, 2006 at 9:54 AM, Blogger D said…

    The two houses we've bought were pre-owned, so we didn't have to make those decisions. Thank goodness. Good luck with the closing.

     
  • At February 10, 2006 at 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How exciting! It is so neat that you get to make these choices instead of getting to live with someone elses rather interesting color scheme (I never have figured out the selection of blues that exist in my house). And even if you don't make the "perfect" choice, at least it is yours. I'm quite certain it will all look great. We'll have to come see it someday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home